Santa Barbara Hikes

Skip to main content
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Search the forum:

Forum registration is technically mostly closed due to inactivity. The forum will eventually be removed but for now the information may still be useful to read so I'm leaving the forum up. You may have better luck asking questions via the Feedback form which is available in the Gorp menu.

White Elephant Trail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Santa Barbara Hikes Forum Index -> Interactive Back Country Map
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diane
Guru at the summit

White Elephant Trail
Post Posted: March Sat 26, 2005 6:36 pm

Post your update here or from Bryan's Interactive Backcountry Map.boots
george
I live on the trails

Post Posted: April Fri 13, 2007 7:24 pm

We hiked one hot January day a few years ago. It was in pretty good shape- only a little bit brushy- with a surprising number of ticks. The ridgetop mine was interesting and there were fine views.
thornslegacy2001
Day Hiker

White Elephant Trail Update:
Post Posted: July Sun 06, 2008 10:23 am

I don't believe I am an idiot or anything similar, but I for one lost this trail. It started off fine near Wagon Flat camp, and we began the hike excited, to be on such an easy trail. But less than a mile into it, the whole trail just disappeared! *poof!* gone! It is overgrown, by my best guess, or we lost it. But I'm betting overgrown.

I don't want that mine to be lost to civilization for ever, would someone more experienced be willing to check it out?

That'd be cool.

-Nick Skaggs
Bryan
I live on the trails

Post Posted: February Mon 16, 2009 9:40 am

The trail takes a hard left turn up about 1/4 mile into the hike. It seems that the trail would continue straight up the creek and there is a "trail" continuing straight, but the real trail goes hard to the left up the canyon wall. I was out there early January 2009 and marked the fork with flags. Once on the correct trail and out of the creek, there is very little chance of getting lost. This trail is slightly overgrown but mostly by small sage bushes. Its a tough climb up to the mine, actually one of the harder pushes for such a short hike. Once at the mine there are multiple caves and holes to check out. BE CAREFUL, a misstep here or there and you're falling a long way from help. I saw more ticks on this trail than anywhere else EVER. No water once away from the creek, don't let the short distance fool you - its a tough hike.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Santa Barbara Hikes Forum Index -> Interactive Back Country Map All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: