Santa Barbara Hikes

Skip to main content
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Search the forum:

Forum registration is technically mostly closed due to inactivity. The forum will eventually be removed but for now the information may still be useful to read so I'm leaving the forum up. You may have better luck asking questions via the Feedback form which is available in the Gorp menu.

Upper Indian Creek/Poplar/Alamar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Santa Barbara Hikes Forum Index -> Interactive Back Country Map
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diane
Guru at the summit

Upper Indian Creek/Poplar/Alamar
Post Posted: March Sat 26, 2005 6:11 pm

Post your update here or from Bryan's Interactive Backcountry Map.hills
Bryan
I live on the trails

Post Posted: November Mon 27, 2006 7:48 pm

11/24/06

Went from the Mono/Indian TH up to the Alamar Tin Shack. Trail was passable but hard to follow at times. Pay special attention at the Mono Creek crossings as the signs of the trail are difficult to see across the expansive creek bed.

Once at Upper Mono camp the trail was easy to follow up to the Alamar Hill trail. Some brush but the trail is there.

The trail over Alamar is a tough haul but followable. Be prepared for moderate bush-whacking. I brushed the trail from Upper Mono to the Tin Chack, and then from the Tin Shack up Alamar to within 1 mile of Dutch Over. After that the trail gets brutal.
Bryan
I live on the trails

Post Posted: April Fri 20, 2007 12:19 pm

4/14/07

Myself and 4 others cleared the trail from Bluff Cabin down to Pens Camp. Tons of Poison Oak but the trail is easy to follow and one of the most beautiful in the backcountry. From Pens up to Loma Pelona the trail gets significantly worse. The tread is easy to follow, but between the abundance of California Rose and the lack of bush clearing the trail pushes back more than most would like.

NOTE: The turnoff for Poplar Camp is REALLY easy to miss. If coming from downstream look for a spur/fork trail that takes a hard left off the main trail after two consecutive creek crossings. Its harder to find from the downstream side. The camp (with table) is there, its about 300 yards off the main trail in an oak filled clearing. Its hard to find so until the Forest Service marks it with a sign bring a map and take your time. Poplar is better than Pens IMO.
Bryan
I live on the trails

Post Posted: May Sun 17, 2009 8:33 pm

3/30/09

If you've made it in this deep, then you know what to expect. Trail here, not trail there. Trail was flagged in March so you should have something to follow.
Bryan
I live on the trails

Post Posted: October Tue 13, 2009 4:26 pm

10/10/09

VWR and LPFA work trip removed fallen trees and light brushing down from Bluff to the where the trail narrows before Poplar Camp.
hills
Cross Tie Walker
I live on the trails

Post Posted: February Sat 26, 2011 3:15 am

As part of a longer hike in earlier this month (see http://www.santabarbarahikes.com/community/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=847), I hiked Indian Canyon from Bluff Station through to Romero-Camuesa Road.
As for the upper portion, the stretch from Bluff down past Blue Jay, Poplar and Pens is passable, but there's one especially thick section of downed trees just upstream from Blue Jay (before the creek crossings begin). It's also thick with some treefall in the narrow section downstream from Blue Jay, but improves once en route to Poplar.

CTW
Bryan
I live on the trails

Post Posted: December Mon 12, 2011 1:05 am

Upper Mono Camp has been moved slightly upstream from where it used to not be. The camp used to reside on a sandy bank where the trail down from Loma Pelona first hits the Mono. That location has always sucked. The bank was only a few feet wide, was surrounded by poison oak and was washed out each storm - not sustainable. A few years back the camp was moved to the bottom of the Loma Pelona switchbacks. This site was better but still lacked room and flat ground. This past week a few of us decided to take a half day and find a suitable location for the camp. We succeeded. The camp is now located about 1/8 of a mile upstream from where the switchbacks start heading towards the Lomas. Its on the north side of the creek and located under an oak tree and a good distance above the flood levels. Its a great camp and should be there for many years to come. Go check it out.
34.61198 latitude, -119.59189 longitude
Cowboy Clark
Day Hiker

Post Posted: May Tue 21, 2013 1:24 pm

10 men and 20 mules and horses traveled from Loma Pelona to Bluff on this trail in late April. The trail from LP down to Pens camp is a brushy mess. Hard to push through and if not for the trail flags here and there, I would consider this trail vanished. Under the brush there is still some tread, but this stretch needs a lot of love.
From Pens up to Bluff is a mixed bag - sometimes the trail is hard to find and sometimes it's no problem at all. There was plentiful water in Indian Creek at that time.
Boulder, CO Leave No Trace Frountcountry program
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Santa Barbara Hikes Forum Index -> Interactive Back Country Map All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: