Santa Barbara Hikes

Skip to main content
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Search the forum:

Forum registration is technically mostly closed due to inactivity. The forum will eventually be removed but for now the information may still be useful to read so I'm leaving the forum up. You may have better luck asking questions via the Feedback form which is available in the Gorp menu.

Madulce Trail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Santa Barbara Hikes Forum Index -> Interactive Back Country Map
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diane
Guru at the summit

Madulce Trail
Post Posted: March Sat 26, 2005 6:17 pm

Post your update here or from Bryan's Interactive Backcountry Map.
ByCrout Bill
Day Hiker

Madulce Tr.
Post Posted: April Sat 02, 2005 11:27 am

As of late March, '05, I found this trail is open and well-brushed (thanks volunteers!), except for down timber from the heavy winter. Hikers only, unless you're using stock to pack in the tools to clear the downed tress.hills
Duane
I live on the trails

Madulce Trail
Post Posted: August Sun 14, 2005 4:48 pm

I hiked the Madulce Trail yesterday from Santa Barbara Canyon up to Madulce cabin and back.

If the trail was well brushed back in April, then it desperately needs it again. The brush is extremely thick starting about three miles up from SB Canyon all the way up to Madulce Cabin. In fact, in several places, the trail completely disappears underneath a carpet of waist high brush.

It was an extremely difficult trip: Almost 5 hours to hike the seven miles up to Madulce Cabin, and 3.5 to walk back. I lost the trail numerous times along the way. If not for the horse traffic pushing through the worst of the brush, I wouldn't have been able to finish the hike.

That last mile long ascent didn't help matters much, either Wink .
Duane
I live on the trails

My mistake: I was referring to the SB Canyon Trail
Post Posted: August Sun 14, 2005 9:14 pm

My report below is actually for the Santa Barbara Canyon Trail, not the Madulce Trail. I apologize for any inconvenience. Embarassedhills
Boulder, CO Leave No Trace Frountcountry program
george
I live on the trails

Post Posted: June Wed 28, 2006 8:21 pm

Great shape except for one tree to climb over. Horses could probably do a bypass. Steep trail, but really pretty in the pine/fir forest and good views to the north.
Bryan
I live on the trails

Post Posted: March Mon 19, 2007 9:10 pm

March 6, 2007

Snow covering upper third of trail. Madulce Trail is in great shape still, other than a few large trees that have fallen over the trail.
boots
Bryan
I live on the trails

Post Posted: October Tue 13, 2009 4:25 pm

We worked the Madulce Trail from Buckhorn Rd down to Madulce Camp on Saturday October 10. This was a working trip coordinated by the LPFA and VWR. There were about 20 of us working and the trail is in excellent shape to within 1/4 mile of the camp. At that point there is some slumping that has covered the trail and some heavy brushing that needs to be done. Many trees were removed and miles of tread work completed. Trail should be in good shape for the next few years just watch out for that last 1/4 mile or so.
Bryan
I live on the trails

Post Posted: November Mon 16, 2009 10:32 pm

IF YOU ARE WONDERING ABOUT DON VICTOR VALLEY:
As part of a VWR trip on November 7, 2009, we worked the DVV trail up from DVV to approx 1.5 miles short of the Madulce Ridge connector. Its no freeway but should keep you on the right track. Now connecting the top to where we left off, you are on your own - please post if you make it.
boots
toejam
I live on the trails

Post Posted: April Mon 26, 2010 5:53 am

I cleared a little brush near Malduce camp. The trail is a little hard to follow for the first quarter mile or so out of camp, but good most of the way up. The trail to Malduce Peak gets lost at the bottom of the switchbacks where it heads up to the ridge - I lost it on the way up and couldn't follow it on the way down. The view from the top is incredible.
Cross Tie Walker
I live on the trails

Post Posted: February Sat 26, 2011 3:12 am

As part of a longer hike in earlier this month (see http://www.santabarbarahikes.com/community/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=847), hiked the Madulce Trail from the upper camp out to Buckhorn/Big Pine Road.

Lots (and I mean LOTS!) of downed trees. A few there in the lower portion, but most were the massive sugar pines or bigcone Douglas-firs along the upper stretch before the junction with the Madulce Peak Trail.

All passable, but it did slow things a bit. Past the junction and to the road, everything's in great shape. Super-clear views out to the islands.

CTW
hills
Cowboy Clark
Day Hiker

Post Posted: May Tue 15, 2012 8:58 am

We rode our horses from Madulce Camp to the Buckhorn Road in early May and it was in fairly good shape. Just out of camp, it is a bit hard to follow with lots of downed trees and a little brush, but if we could make it on horseback - I know hikers can do it!! Once you get out of the creek bottom, the trail is in fine shape with gorgeous views. Spectacular!hills
toejam
I live on the trails

Post Posted: April Tue 30, 2013 7:26 pm

A small group of volunteers worked several days on this trail last week. All logs cut out of the upper part, but a few big ones remain low. It's still kinda rough, but you won't get lost.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Santa Barbara Hikes Forum Index -> Interactive Back Country Map All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: