Santa Barbara Hikes

Skip to main content
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Search the forum:

Forum registration is technically mostly closed due to inactivity. The forum will eventually be removed but for now the information may still be useful to read so I'm leaving the forum up. You may have better luck asking questions via the Feedback form which is available in the Gorp menu.

Mission Pine Trail

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Santa Barbara Hikes Forum Index -> Interactive Back Country Map
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlliteras
Day Hiker

Post Posted: March Thu 28, 2013 7:45 am

Just hiked this trail as part of a large loop hike. I took more pictures then usual for a couple that wanted some info after hearing a bad trip report. Most of the details are contained in the photo album, but to sum it up trail was in pretty good shape except for about a 1 mile stretch that was in terrible shape, located about in the area that Conant's map indicates. Water along trail in the Basin, but not much and little of it looks appetizing. Great water along trail near Mission Pine Springs and at the campground.

[url=http://imgur.com/a/2MxyD#0]Album and further comments[/url]
dlliteras
Day Hiker

Screwed up that link
Post Posted: March Thu 28, 2013 7:50 am

It appears I screwed up that link. That's what I get for trying to be fancy. One more try.

Album and Comments
toejam
I live on the trails

Post Posted: March Thu 28, 2013 10:37 am

Thanks so much for posting the pictures - it is as bad as I feared. Hopefully some of us get a chance to do a little work on that rough section soon.boots
Brad Young
Day Hiker

Post Posted: April Mon 29, 2013 8:59 pm

My 11 year old daughter and I just hiked this section of trail on April 25th as part of a loop from Nira, out to and up the Sisquoc and around.

From Windy Gap the trail is in mostly good condition until the start of the drop down to "Rattlesnake Saddle." The switchbacks and the trail down to this saddle are in poor to bad shape. Climbing back out, west-bound, is horrific right where Conant's map shows. Here's a photo of Tricia taken at a relatively open part of that section (as she fights through heavy, thick brush):

From that point to Mission Pine Basin, the trail is in OK shape.

Then, from Mission Pine Basin to Mission PIne Spring the trail tread in in fairly good shape, but, as expected, there are large numbers of burned/blown down trees that require walk arounds or climb overs. Here's Tricia on one of these:

The trail from there to San Rafael Peak is in great shape.
toejam
I live on the trails

Post Posted: April Tue 30, 2013 7:10 pm

I was worried about you guys - most of the adults I hike with I wouldn't take on that hike. I'm glad you made it o.k. Tricia is a hardy little adventurer.

Someday soon somebody will get serious about clearing that trail. It's just so remote.
Brad Young
Day Hiker

Post Posted: May Wed 01, 2013 5:50 am

Yeah, Tricia is one heck of a hiker. My older daughter is too, but she couldn't afford a week off school to join us.

Toejam, I was serious in the note I left for you. I'd like to try to get down there and join some of the volunteer trail efforts. Even if I got down there once every year or so, every little bit helps. and who knows, I've got at least two strong climbing friends that might be up for a new public service adventure.

Could you post up or P.M. me about how to join your group of volunteers?
Brad Young
Day Hiker

Post Posted: May Wed 01, 2013 6:03 am

And actually, as I re-read my first post, I noticed that the date was off. We must have hiked the Mission Pine Trail on the 24th; it was the day after we saw you. Kinda cool to lose track of time at least a little.

The night after the Sisquoc hike we stayed in Big Pine Camp. We were hiking up to Buckhorn Road when at least three of your vehicles came by. We'd wanted to say good morning, but were just below you and barely out of your sight.
toejam
I live on the trails

Post Posted: November Sun 16, 2014 5:07 pm

In the last month two volunteer trail projects have cleared the trail from Windy Gap to within 1.5 miles of Mission Pine Basin. So the most overgrown section extending a couple miles west of Rattlesnake Saddle is looking good.

The trail between the West Big Pine lookout site and Rattlesnake Saddle scares me because it is difficult to follow as the indistinct tread crosses several washes. If you are unfamiliar with this trail, take it slow and look carefully for rock cairns & flagging. Remember that the trail never gets too far from the ridge.

West Big Pine may be the most spectacular piece of the San Rafael Wilderness, so go see it before the bushes grow back.
hills
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Santa Barbara Hikes Forum Index -> Interactive Back Country Map All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: