Santa Barbara Hikes

Skip to main content
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Search the forum:

Forum registration is technically mostly closed due to inactivity. The forum will eventually be removed but for now the information may still be useful to read so I'm leaving the forum up. You may have better luck asking questions via the Feedback form which is available in the Gorp menu.

Upper Sisquoc Trail

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Santa Barbara Hikes Forum Index -> Interactive Back Country Map
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diane
Guru at the summit

Upper Sisquoc Trail
Post Posted: March Sat 26, 2005 6:32 pm

Post your update here or from Bryan's Interactive Backcountry Map.
ByCrout Bill
Day Hiker

Upper Sisquoc
Post Posted: April Sat 02, 2005 11:20 am

I solo hiked from South Fork to the Alamar Camp in late March '05. There are about 25 river crossings from South Fork to Heath Camp, most of them thigh-deep with the heavy winter and still-raining skies. Did not find Skunk Camp, only a sign post lying on the ground. Cottonwood Camp was marshy, except a site on the south side. Most river crossings are thoroughly washed out. There's a narrow, tricky spot high above the river just below Rattlesnake Cyn.
Trail up the switchbacks from Lower Bear Camp is almost gone, just a narrow lip across the talus. But the falls and cascades were almost Yosemite-like! Much down timber in lovely Bear Basin area, including a large white fir that took out the posted Bear Camp. But, there's a much nicer campsite (with picnic table!) 180 degrees across the meadow in the sun.
boots
george
I live on the trails

Post Posted: June Wed 28, 2006 8:09 pm

We hiked this twice last week, in each direction, turning around at South Fork because of the fire in the Sierra Madres. The trail is in surprisingly good shape the entire way, with just a bit of poison oak to look out for, and also paying attention occasionally, down low, at crossings so to not loose the trail. We were able to keep our feet dry the whole time, and enjoyed camping at Bear (Meadow), S.Fork, Cottonwood and Heath camps. Fine pools are easily accessed near the latter three. We also hiked the short trail to Rattlesnake Falls (don't miss it!) and boulder-hopped up Fall Canyon to the spectacular Sisquoc Falls, perhaps the highest fall anywhere in SoCal? Well worth the 40-minute scramble, with great shade and pools the whole way!hills
Adam
Day Hiker

Sycamore to South Fork
Post Posted: August Mon 21, 2006 12:37 pm

Used the Upper Sisquoc Trail as part of the Manzana-Sisquoc-Manzana loop. Compared to the lower Sisquoc, this trail was a pleasure. It looks like a very hard trail to maintain, but someone is doing a great job with it. Some of the ledge parts had some loose rock piles on it, but nothing too scary. We covered ground quickly on it (7 miles before lunch, whereas it took us a whole day to do 6 miles in the Lower Sisquoc). It is away from the water for a good deal of it, but went down to the Sisquoc, which has plenty of water, a few times. Unfortunately, we later found out that this area was closed due to fire danger, but posted signs had been ripped down or cut up. Saw some deer across the canyon from the trail, too. Near South Fork there was some very fresh bear scat. Overall, a great trail, and I'd be interested to check out the trail further up sometime.
Algalita Research - Learn about the pelagic plastic problem
goletasteve
Day Hiker

Post Posted: April Thu 19, 2007 7:53 pm

Spent a few days on the upper sisquoc as part of a Judell Trail - Upper Sisquoc -- Whiteledge -- Nyra shuttle March 21-25. Ahh, that's how I recharge. Beautiful. The upper sisquoc is in decent shape, a little bit bushy at times. In a few spots I was doing the "highstep tiptoe" through the poison oak, which at the higher elevations still had no leaves. Ticks were expected, and they did not disappoint. Water was flowing fine and VERY cold. Swimming was limited to in and out. Brr!
Bryan
I live on the trails

Post Posted: June Mon 02, 2008 6:49 am

May 24, 2008

I hiked from Alamar Saddle down to Heath Camp over the Memorial Day weekend. The trail is pretty worked over with fallen trees and the occasional washout. Its as beautiful as ever but be prepared to crawl or climb through the dozens of fallen trees, and practice your trail finding skills.
Boulder, CO Leave No Trace Frountcountry program
ConiferKevin
Day Hiker

Bear Camp Basin
Post Posted: June Fri 19, 2009 8:47 am

Dropped down into the Bear Camps almost 2 years ago. Bummer about all those pines and the burnt out table at mid Bear Camp. I'm sure the vegetation is coming back strong, but we need to talk the LPFA into getting a new table back there.
Bryan
I live on the trails

Post Posted: July Tue 21, 2009 2:11 pm

Hiked down to Lower Bear along the Sisquoc Trail from Alamar Saddle. That trail is in fantastic shape right now, best Iíve ever seen it. Kudos to the LPFA and VWR volunteers and whomever else cleared the trees and treaded the trail. Great work! The Devils Slide section is the best I've seen it in over 10 years. Not sure how the trail is downstream from Lower Bear but there has been confirmed rumors that people are working on that as well.

Every little bit helps.
hills
toejam
I live on the trails

Post Posted: April Mon 26, 2010 6:30 am

I hiked down from the top until the trail was lost in fallen trees a little below Lower Bear Camp. Still in great shape above that.
Coyote Dave
Thru Hiker

Post Posted: June Thu 03, 2010 10:06 am

Hiked from South Fork up to Heath Camp over Memorial Day Weekend (2010). Trail was well flagged and easy to follow. Aside from Skunk Camp which has been destroyed from the Zaca Fire, the other camps along the stretch were in good shape.
Bryan
I live on the trails

Post Posted: June Mon 14, 2010 9:18 pm

June 5, 2010

Hiked from Alamar Saddle to Heath Camp. Trail through the Bear Camps is great. Below Lower Bear the trail is very followable until you get about 0.5 miles upstream from Big Pine Canyon. At that point the trail gets significantly worse and stay that way until Heath Camp. There are flags marking the way, but expect to wade through grass and spend some time looking for the next flag. From Heath to Mansfield is great!
darshar
Day Hiker

Upper Sisquoc 2010
Post Posted: February Mon 14, 2011 11:16 am

I just found this site, so this posting is a little out of date, but hiked SB Canyon Trailhead to Judell and took Sisquoc to White Ledge and out Nira last May 2010. This portion was tough as river was full, trail is overgrown and mostly non-existent at that time. Wet boots the norm. Still loved it though and hopefully it will get some maintenence soon (if it hasn't already???) Got a few ticks in the socks.
toejam
I live on the trails

Post Posted: February Tue 15, 2011 1:41 am

I was there last weekend and the trail has had maintenance. Not a freeway but it wasn't hard to follow. Lots of wet crossings between Mansfield & South Fork.
Cross Tie Walker
I live on the trails

Post Posted: February Sat 26, 2011 3:19 am

As part of a longer hike in earlier this month (see http://www.santabarbarahikes.com/community/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=847), dropped into to Upper Bear from Alamar Saddle for the night. Lots of treefall at Upper Bear site proper and the camp around the old stove is pretty grown-in, but still useable.

Trail was in great shape.

CTW
goletasteve
Day Hiker

Post Posted: April Sun 03, 2011 5:41 pm

Unsuccessfully attempted to venture down the Sisquoc from Heath to either Southfork (plan A), or Mansfield/Fall Canyon (plan B). Was able to get to Rattlesnake falls, but was unable to navigate the crossing downstream from there. The river was still running way too fast and deep to safely cross, especially with dogs. We were well aware of the storms two weeks before that stranded the boy scouts and couple at Southfork, but figured that water would have runoff enough for a wet excursion. We didn't account for all the snow melting and swelling the river. (And there is a lot of snow on Big Pine, San Rafael, etc.) So we just spent a few mellow days on the upper sisquoc as a consolation prize. The trail is looking good in this middle section.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Santa Barbara Hikes Forum Index -> Interactive Back Country Map All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: