Santa Barbara Hikes

Skip to main content
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Search the forum:

Forum registration is technically mostly closed due to inactivity. The forum will eventually be removed but for now the information may still be useful to read so I'm leaving the forum up. You may have better luck asking questions via the Feedback form which is available in the Gorp menu.

Willow Spring Trail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Santa Barbara Hikes Forum Index -> Interactive Back Country Map
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diane
Guru at the summit

Willow Spring Trail
Post Posted: March Sat 26, 2005 6:38 pm

Post your update here or from Bryan's Interactive Backcountry Map.

Please note this trail is not the same as the Willow Springs Trail. The Willow Springs trail is near Davy Brown. This trail is near Pine Canyon Ranger Station and Highway 166.
george
I live on the trails

Post Posted: April Fri 13, 2007 7:21 pm

This is a lovely trail to hike in late winter and spring. It takes some careful topo study to find the trailhead. You park by a closed shooting range on 166 that is a tiny piece of Forest adjacent to the highway. Heading west to an obvious saddle up a cow trail, you then can begin to find a decent little flagged trail through the fine grasslands and deciduous oak forest, taking you all the way to the top of a high ridge where a big portrero awaits, along with interesting explorations in any of three directions (albeit some on private ranchland). Great views the whole way up this trail. Not too far after Willow Spring itself, the trail disappears down a brushy ridge.boots
george
I live on the trails

Post Posted: April Sat 14, 2007 2:02 pm

Oops! I meant go EAST from the shooting area. You'll see a trail from the shooting area heading up the grassy swale. The flagged section begins shortly past the saddle, as the slowly trail contours upwards.
toejam
I live on the trails

Post Posted: December Thu 22, 2011 10:03 am

This trail is getting some use lately, so you shouldn't have trouble following it up to the meadows on top of the mountain. There are some great views from the top and easy hiking along the pipeline. Good water at Willow Spring mid-December.

If you want to continue and follow this trail to Brookshire Camp, you'll be bushwhacking and routefinding, but it's doable. The old trail is very faint. Check USGS topos and satellite images and count the ridges to keep from getting lost.
toejam
I live on the trails

Post Posted: December Wed 18, 2013 11:24 am

I hiked Willow Spring Trail to Brookshire and on to Pine Flat 12/14 - 12/15. The route has gotten more use and was easier to follow than when I did it two years ago. Work was ongoing at the trailhead - they've done some impressive dirt work that barely takes you out of the parking lot. Above that the trail to the top of the hill is excellent, by Los Padres standards, because of hiker & horseback rider use.

From the meadow at the top you can easily follow cattle hoof prints leading left on the old trail to Willow Spring, or you can go straight and follow a road there. From the spring the old road gets progressively fainter to the top of the ridge and follows the ridge down. When you reach the forest boundary fence the trail disappears, but you can stay on the forest side of the fence to the top of the next ridge without getting badly cut up. From there you have a choice of old roads, fire breaks, and wel-used cow paths all the way to Brookshire.

Bring a USGS map and study satellite images before your trip. Willow Spring - Brookshire takes you through some beautiful country with big views.

https://picasaweb.google.com/toejamhikes/WillowSpringPineFlat1213?auth user=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJyWkJKFr8S2uwE&feat=directlink
toejam
I live on the trails

Post Posted: December Wed 18, 2013 11:30 am

toejam wrote:
From the meadow at the top you can easily follow cattle hoof prints leading left on the old trail to Willow Spring

The trail goes to the right. I'm dyslexic this morning. See the photo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Santa Barbara Hikes Forum Index -> Interactive Back Country Map All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: