Santa Barbara Hikes

Skip to main content
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Search the forum:

Forum registration is technically mostly closed due to inactivity. The forum will eventually be removed but for now the information may still be useful to read so I'm leaving the forum up. You may have better luck asking questions via the Feedback form which is available in the Gorp menu.

Horse Canyon Trail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Santa Barbara Hikes Forum Index -> Interactive Back Country Map
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diane
Guru at the summit

Horse Canyon Trail
Post Posted: March Sat 26, 2005 6:10 pm

Post your update here or from Bryan's Interactive Backcountry Map.hills
george
I live on the trails

Post Posted: April Wed 06, 2005 8:45 pm

We hiked up the canyon about 1.5 miles in mid-March. The trail was not too hard to follow, and someone had periodically flagged it. It's a scenic canyon with plenty of water and some lovely grassy benches full of goldfields. A very remote feel to the place. It deserves more attention. We turned around before I really wanted to, but we had to get back to our camp on the Sisquoc.
Bryan
I live on the trails

Post Posted: April Wed 01, 2009 11:52 pm

February 28, 2009

Hiked from Sierra Madre Rd down into Horse Canyon and out to the Sisquoc. If coming from the Sisquoc the trail is followable through the first couple miles then becomes scattered. The canyon is open enough to find a trail here or there and make your way up. You might be on the trail, or you might not - but there are sufficiently easy ways up the canyon. We flagged here or there when we thought we were on the trail. Once the canyon narrows your choices similarly narrow and you are forced onto a more clear trail. The trail is relatively good until you get about halfway up the last side canyon towards Wyndham Gap and Hiawatha. There is a point where it ends completely and you'll be relegated to crawling and serious bushwhacking. There was water almost the entire length of the creek, but I would not expect it to last long. This canyon did not burn. More details here:
http://bryanconant.com/CONDOR/HorseHiawathaSisquoc.htm
toejam
I live on the trails

Post Posted: February Fri 01, 2013 12:37 am

I hiked up Horse Canyon from the Sisquoc as far as Sluice Box 1/20/13. There was good water and the hiking was easy, although the trail sometimes disappears. The creek bed is wide and you can't get lost. The place where Bryan camped in the above report is about 2 miles up. It is a very nice camp. We found two separate camps with steel grated grills while looking for Sluice Box. The upper camp is at the location indicated on Bryan's map about 4 miles up. It is a nice big level spot with lots of grass & shade trees.
toejam
I live on the trails

Post Posted: June Sat 22, 2013 8:14 pm

I hiked up Horse Gulch Canyon with another VWR on Memorial Day Weekend. Spent the night at Sluice Box. There was good water and it's a decent spot to camp.

The route above Sluice Box is off & on for a few miles until the canyon gets narrow, then you just hike up the creek bed. When it turns left up the drainage toward Wyndham Gap there is no trace.

Wyndham Gap is gorgeous with a trail from the road. We pushed down cow paths to Hiawatha Camp, which doesn't exist. We found an ice can leaning against a tree in a poison oak garden. Good water though.

Then we pushed on to Roque Camp and up to the road. It was a total bushwhack. Very few signs of a trail. If you want to go, go soon before the brush gets taller. Wait til the fall though.
Bryan
I live on the trails

Post Posted: June Mon 24, 2013 5:48 am

A video documenting the old Horse Canyon Dam:
http://vimeo.com/14230829
kirby805
Day Hiker

Post Posted: June Mon 24, 2013 5:44 pm

Thanks for the video!hills
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Santa Barbara Hikes Forum Index -> Interactive Back Country Map All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: