Santa Barbara Hikes

Skip to main content
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Search the forum:

Forum registration is technically mostly closed due to inactivity. The forum will eventually be removed but for now the information may still be useful to read so I'm leaving the forum up. You may have better luck asking questions via the Feedback form which is available in the Gorp menu.

Jackson Trail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Santa Barbara Hikes Forum Index -> Interactive Back Country Map
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diane
Guru at the summit

Jackson Trail
Post Posted: March Sat 26, 2005 6:12 pm

Post your update here or from Bryan's Interactive Backcountry Map.
BSA Troop 42
Backpacker

Post Posted: April Mon 10, 2006 8:52 pm

Hiked down The Jackson Trail on 2 April. The Trail is in reasonable shape.
mstiles
Backpacker

Post Posted: July Wed 08, 2009 7:10 am

I hiked down Jackson in October of '08. The trail has been recently worked by the CCC and is very wide and easy to follow. The bottom mile or so is still steep and without many switchbacks, but that's another matter.

Mike
TheBeeman
Litehiker

Jackson Trail on opening deer season
Post Posted: August Fri 20, 2010 10:02 pm

Over the weekend of Aug 13-15, Rik and I joined USFS personnel to check on groups of hunters camping along the Sierra Madre Ridge. We also hiked down the Jackson Trail to Sycamore Camp to check on the trail condition and new throne.

We met two hunters staying at the campsite. We joined them for two nights.

Trail is in great condition, including 2 miles up the river. We flagged the trail 2 miles down to near Cliff camp. Nice water in the Sisquoc River. No flies and few mosquitoes.

I have posted pictures of my trip at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/beemancron

Note: This trail is very steep over the last two miles down to the river. I would recommend going lightweight (Total pack weight <20 lbs) on this trail. The hunters reported carrying over 60 pound packs down the trail to Sycamore; they reported not being happy campers, and certainly did not look forward to hiking out.

Happy Trails
boots
CJDGO
Day Hiker

Inspiring Trail
Post Posted: June Fri 24, 2011 2:05 pm

My group headed down the Jackson Trail on April 14, 2011 en route from Painted Rock to Sycamore. It starts inauspiciously -- as a faint cattle trail that leads WEST up to a shallow saddle above the old homestead just below the hairpin in the road; we had to resist the temptation to look for the trail below (south of) the cabin. But the trail gradually improves and widens as you leave cow country behind, and all that's left are improving views of the Sisquoc below. Amazing wildflowers and views distracted us from the knee-punishing descent, for which I was mighty glad I had my trekking poles. Sycamore was an easy left (a few hundred feet) as soon as we hit the Sisquoc. The camp has a nice table and new commode, but the camp is evidently heavily used by an outfitter, judging from all the gear left hanging in the trees.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Santa Barbara Hikes Forum Index -> Interactive Back Country Map All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: