Santa Barbara Hikes

Skip to main content
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Search the forum:

Forum registration is technically mostly closed due to inactivity. The forum will eventually be removed but for now the information may still be useful to read so I'm leaving the forum up. You may have better luck asking questions via the Feedback form which is available in the Gorp menu.

Judell Trail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Santa Barbara Hikes Forum Index -> Interactive Back Country Map
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diane
Guru at the summit

Judell Trail
Post Posted: March Sat 26, 2005 6:13 pm

Post your update here or from Bryan's Interactive Backcountry Map.
Bryan
I live on the trails

SB Potrero to Heath Camp
Post Posted: March Tue 28, 2006 7:00 pm

Some brush along the middle section, may want to wear long pants. Very few ticks. Cleared a section where a pine tree dropped a large widow-maker branch across the trail. If you haven't hiked this trail you are missing out. Great views, never a person in sight, and the trail covers so much of the beauty that makes the San Raf so special.boots
BSA Troop 42
Backpacker

Post Posted: June Thu 01, 2006 3:56 am

We worked on this trail on 27 May 2006 as part of a trail maintenance activity. A great trail is getting more opened up; near flowing water much of the way to Heath Camp. The Sisquoc River is crossable on rocks between Heath Camp and Rattlesnake Canyon. A big Thank You to Volunteer Wilderness Ranger Mike Smith, his support team, and the loveable backpacking goats for keeping the Upper Sisquoc trails open! See pictures of Diane’s trip on this trail one year ago: http://www.santabarbarahikes.com/community/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=174.hills
goletasteve
Day Hiker

SB Petrero to Nyra Shuttle
Post Posted: April Thu 19, 2007 7:22 pm

Hiked the Judell trail March 21 (Spring Equinox) on the first day of shuttle trip from SB Canyon to Nyra. The trail is in overall good shape. Suprising, since I didn't think this trail gets that much use. A few ticks and some poison oak, which BTW hadn't bloomed yet. (I guess because of the cold freeze we had?) Unfortunately I didn't figure out the oak was in its winter stick form until day two on the sisquoc. The five miles up from the gate on Sierra Madre just to get to the trail head will definitely warm your legs up!
mstiles
Backpacker

Post Posted: July Wed 08, 2009 7:15 am

I hiked up Judell in October of '08 as part of a Montgomery Potrero/Sisquoc River/Judell expedition for Los Padres Forestwatch, GPSing tamarisk along the river.

The bottom portion was burned badly and extremely hard to follow because of gullies and washouts. Once a mile or so up, the trail is completely undamaged from the fire and very wide and shady.

Mike
Coyote Dave
Thru Hiker

Post Posted: June Thu 03, 2010 10:21 am

I hiked up Judell Trail from Heath Camp over Memorial Day Weekend (2010) and was impressed by its gradual ascent. The tread was in good shape and the route was flagged pretty well.
darshar
Day Hiker

Judell 2010
Post Posted: February Mon 14, 2011 11:11 am

I just found this site, so this posting is alittle out of date perhaps, but hiked down Judell May 2010, and it would all good, gradual. Trail was a tad hard to see because it is obscured by tall grass, but just let the trail find me, and walked down. Got a few ticks on the socks, so keep checking.
goletasteve
Day Hiker

Post Posted: April Sun 03, 2011 5:08 pm

Hiked down Judell trail on march 30th, and then back up again on April 2nd. Trail is in mostly great shape. On the way down the creek was running high and difficult to cross without getting wet. On the way up no problem. There's a tree covering the trail on one of the steeper sections -- only way through was on hands and knees under it. Picked a few ticks off on the way down, and walked right past a good sized rattler a few inches off the trail back up.
Cowboy Clark
Day Hiker

Post Posted: May Tue 31, 2011 7:08 am

Rode horseback down the Judell in early May with several friends. The trail was in beautiful shape and had obviously been worked on in the past month - I saw fresh cuts in several places. Much thanks to whomever did that - we had ridden from Bluff Camp that day and were too tired to clear trail!!
By the way, we camped at Heath for a couple of days and it has really recovered from the fire - plenty of grass is growing and the trees look good!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Santa Barbara Hikes Forum Index -> Interactive Back Country Map All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: